VR

Discuss custom PC builds, components, accessories and anything else related to a system's rig. Ask for assistance & advice if needed; there's plenty of experienced users among us.
Rucifa
db Administrator
db Administrator
Main Game: GTA V
Player Name: Rucifa

VR

Postby Rucifa » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Alrighty my friends, I'm starting to think that I want to embrace some if this VR action. I'd prefer AR but I think that is still quite a long way before it really makes an impact.

So, has anyone got or tried an Oculus or Vive? Anyone using their smartphone paired with their PC?

Tell me it's a waste of money before it's too late.
{L_IMAGE}
My location on TeamSpeak
Aulstin
Clan Member
Clan Member
Main Game: Other
Player Name: Aulstin

Re: VR

Postby Aulstin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:29 pm

From the basic knowledge I've acquired from watching YouTube reviews, the Vive, by far beats the Oculus Rift as a better VR device. I think I heard that Oculus are currently in a lawsuit for using stolen parts and the Rift could end up being discontinued, resulting in a halt of game support for the device. From the people I've watched, they've all said that the Vive is better than the Oculus. I say if you have the $ for it, splash out for the Vive.
My location on TeamSpeak

{L_IMAGE}
Rucifa
db Administrator
db Administrator
Main Game: GTA V
Player Name: Rucifa

Re: VR

Postby Rucifa » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I went out and bought a $25 mobile phone vr thing
https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/linden-u ... --luvrhs16

Unless you really want to try them out, I wouldnt recommend them. Maybe the more expensive ones are better but I can't see how they could be, it's still your phone in a plastic headset. Maybe the lenses are better in the more expensive ones but mine seem ok, everything is in focus most of the time.

The vision in mine isn't very wide and I'm using a 6s Plus. It's kind of like you're holding your phone really close to your face but only half the screen is showing. Wait..... that's exactly what your doing. For an example of how it kind of looks, watch this video on you phone. Look at only one side of the image while holding your phone 10cm from your face.

https://youtu.be/anfd-LuJqDI

So it's 3d and there are some 360° videos that use the gryoscope in your phone so you can look around but like I said, it's still not very immersing but kind of cool to see what you can do for cheap and just how good it could be if done right.

I'm still going to try to mirror my pc screen to my phone and do vr with it if I can. There are a heap of games that could be fun seeing in true 3d with some form of head tracking even if it is on a small screen. KSP, Cities Skyline and of course minecraft come to mind.

What I have learnt is that I will not be buying a Vive or Oculus or anything else unless I've actually tested one and I'm happy with the quality before I hand over my money. Also, just buy a google cardboard if you want to give it a go yourself, it'll be cheaper and still give you the few minutes of enjoyment before you decide using your phone for vr isn't the best idea.

I'll report back if I get the pc hook up working.
{L_IMAGE}
My location on TeamSpeak

Return to “PC Rigs”